Tuesday, July 15, 2008

"Mother, what ARE you doing?"

A pile of dirty dishes sat by a grungy lady with stringy, dirty red hair hanging down on her little shoulders and falling into her face. She sat there with a thin-lipped grimace and a few hiccups now and then.
She was breaking plates.

A small, calloused hand was bleeding a little as it picked up another plate from the pile, raised it above the woman's head and brought it down hard onto the dirt floor with a crash between her spindly legs. Little pieces of clay flew everywhere and one of the larger pieces knocked over the green glass bottle that sat beside her, but no liquid spilled onto the floor.
She was drunk too.

"Mama stop it..." I said tiredly from my seat on the pile of hay covered with a sheet that served as my bed. I admit, I was not even looking at her. She'd been doing this for about an hour and between the rats scratching at the door and Ma breaking plates, I had had quite enough of the whole thing.

"You stop it," came the whine from the woman who'd given me life. Or at least, that's what I think she said. Her speech kind of runs together in a dumb sort of way after an entire bottle of wine. With an exasperated sigh, I looked back to her as she awkwardly lifted herself up to her knees. Putting weight on her hands, she hopped to her feet and put her bum in the air with a groan. I laughed. She looked really stupid.

With a start, she looked up and consequently, fell down with a little yelp. Giggling, I hopped up and walked over to offer her a hand up, but she hissed from her prone position on the floor and spat at my hand. "Little bitch, made me fall!"

Indignantly, I put my hands on my hips and frowned at the floundering, pathetic woman at my feet. "I did not. You did it to yourself."
"Get away!" Whining. Not attractive at all as she swatted at where she thought I was, which was a good ways left of where I truly stood.
With a growl, I leaned over and picked her up, despite her complaints, and looked over the sloppy drunk before me.
Ma's a little taller than me.
"Get AWAY!" she spat, pushing me hard in the chest. I tumbled back and fell flat on my bum, but recovered quick enough. I'm used to falling.
Hopping to my feet almost instantly, I clenched my hands and jaw, closing my eyes and feeling my anger flare up. I pushed her back and knocked her over. I was sick of it! Done! I was tired of her pushing me over and complaining and whining and being ill and groaning through her own doing. "CLEAN UP!" I screeched. "You're TERRIBLE!"
Or....something akin to that. I don't even remember much of what I said. I said a lot of bad things to her though and it took me a little while to realize she wasn't moving. When it struck me, I felt my stomach sink and dropped to my knees beside her. "Oh Gods..." I said, over and over before collecting myself and trying to remember the runes for the remedy spell Raul had taught me. I cast it on her and gave a great sigh of relief when I heard her grumble, "Little bitch."

No comments: